Here are five considerations for evaluating network monitoring tools on the market to meet next-generation network performance management (NPM) goals, so that you can keep the enterprise's network in the best shape:
- Automated Collection : One of the most important requirements of your NPM tool is to automate data collection. You need to collect significantly more information about your network than ever before. You want to get deep and accurate information to help you make informed decisions about your network and ensure that everything is running smoothly. However, it’s important to make sure that you don’t get overwhelmed with data. Look for tools that can filter and prioritize the information you need.
- Automated Interpretation: Collecting data is only half the battle. The next step is to interpret that data and turn it into actionable insights. Look for tools that use built-in heuristics or AI to analyze your data and produce plain-English answers about what is broken or sub-optimized in your environment. This analysis should also provide root-cause resolutions that can be implemented proactively, before your network experiences any issues.
- Root-Cause Analysis (RCA): Root-cause troubleshooting is another important feature to look for in next-generation NPM. When an issue arises, you want to know exactly what caused it and how to fix it. Look for tools that can provide detailed information about the root cause of an issue and offer solutions for resolving it.
Your NPM suite should provide you with deep insights into your network performance, allowing you to quickly identify and resolve any issues. Look for a suite that offers real-time monitoring, as well as advanced analytics features such as machine learning and predictive modeling.
- User-Friendly Interface: Another important factor to consider is the user interface of your NPM tool. Look for tools that are easy to navigate and provide a clear overview of your network’s performance. This will help you quickly identify any issues and take action to resolve them. You shouldn’t be expected to go to training classes, just to learn the interace. If your current solution is clumsy or difficult to use, you should find a different solution.
- Integration with Other Tools: Finally, consider how your NPM tools integrate with other tools in your organization. Look for tools that can work in conjunction with your existing security tools, network monitoring tools, and other IT management tools. This will help ensure that your network is working together seamlessly and efficiently.
Make sure to choose a suite that supports a wide range of protocols and devices, so that you can monitor everything from routers to switches to servers.
Next-generation NPM tools can be incredibly useful in automating network data collection and troubleshooting. By looking for tools that provide automated collection, automated interpretation, root-cause analysis, a user-friendly interface, and integration with other tools, you can improve the efficiency of your operations teams and proactively address issues before they impact your users. Remember, automation is the key to success in network performance management.
Don't worry, we've got your back.